Wednesday, May 18, 2011

“SONG” By Christina Rossetti


When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me;
Plant thou no roses at my head,
Nor shady cypress tree.
Be the green grass above me
With showers and dewdrops wet;
And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.
I shall not see the shadows,
I shall not feel the rain;
I shall not hear the nightingale
Sing on as if in pain.
And dreaming through the twilight
That doth not rise nor set,
Haply I may remember,
And haply may forget.

ANALYZING “SONG”


Content:
In this poem, the author describes her wants and her feeling when she dies. She doesn’t want his friends to be so sad about her death. She also desires every pain is forgotten and every pleasure is always remembered.

Detail Meaning:
          The poet begins by author’s sense that her age is not longer anymore. She wants her friends will not be so sad, if she dies. The author seems like delivery massage, when she dies, her friends don’t need to sing a sad song, plant both roses and shady cypress tree. The author desires her friends to be whole hearted to accept her death. They should not always remember her, but should not forget her at all.
          In next stanza, the author wants to every bad things and pain that were made, must be forgotten. Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, so just leave the pain out. They have to just remember about a good things and pleasure.
          In short, this poem tell us that the author wishes her friends not to be sad, they have to be sincere accept her death. They have to forget all pain and remember every pleasure that have been made.

Intention:
In my view, this poem is touching. As we know that everyone will face death. When someone whom we love die, we have to be whole hearted accept his death and don’t be so sad. We must forget his entire mistakes that were made and just remember his good things. It will make his soul peaceful in his new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment